Application and Exhibition Agreement
Application to and Exhibition at Bonsall Arts Trail is conditional on acceptance of these terms.
This Agreement is made between you (the Artist) and Bonsall Arts Trail Group.
1. Application for existing artists (those already with the Trail from 2020) may be made through our website. The fee payable is £40 to cover annual membership of Bonsall Arts Trail (including exhibiting at the Trail).
2. Applications for new artists must be made through our CuratorSpace portal as detailed on our website.
The cost for application via this route is £10 per artist to cover our CuratorSpace fees. Successful applicants will then pay £40 to cover annual membership of Bonsall Arts Trail (which includes exhibiting at the Trail).
3. The application and membership fees are payable per individual artist. Exceptionally, groups of artists whose sole purpose is to deliver workshops, and groups of artists who have need of special support (such as those with disability) may, at Bonsall Arts Trail Group’s discretion, pay a single fee of £40.
4. Selection of applicants will be at the discretion of the Bonsall Arts Trail Group selection panel. Unsuccessful applicants will receive constructive feedback upon request.
5. Acceptance of artists for the Trail is conditional on payment of the appropriate fee, and full acceptance of the terms of this Agreement.
Exhibition of Work
6. The Artist must confirm their attendance at the Trail not less than 5 weeks before the Trail so that venues may be finally confirmed. The Artist agrees to exhibit their own, original work at the venue allocated by Bonsall Arts Trail Group.
7. The Artist shall exhibit the work between 10am and 4pm on Saturday June 18th and Sunday June 19th 2022, during which their allocated venue will be open to the public. St James’ Church on Sunday June 19th is an exception which, to allow for a service, opens at 10.45am.
8. The Artist or their representative, aged over 18, must remain with the exhibited work during these opening hours on both days.
9. Bonsall Arts Trail Group reserve the right to disallow the exhibition of any work deemed inappropriate to be shown at a public event, for example any work which may offend on the grounds of religion or race. Additionally, if Bonsall Arts Trail Group consider that work exhibited deviates substantially from that indicated at submission, they reserve the right to refuse to exhibit the work.
10. Bonsall Arts Trail Group will take all reasonable precautions to protect the security of the work exhibited by the Artist, as well as items used to display the work and any other property on site. This includes ensuring security for overnight storage and reasonable vigilance against theft during trail opening hours. However, liability for any loss or damage, however caused, remains with the Artist. Bonsall Arts Trail Group require that Artists have adequate insurance to cover any such losses. Such insurance must extend to cover any third-party claims that may arise against the Artist through their participation in the Trail.
(For information: many artists are covered through Artist Newsletter – https://www.a-n.co.uk/about/insurance/)
Set Up and Take Down
11. The Artist shall deliver and, where appropriate, hang their work at a time agreed with the host venue or, where a public space is used, in consultation with Bonsall Arts Trail Group through our contact e-mail (email@example.com or via the Chair on 07881 021742). The Artist will set up by 10am on 18th June, however set up for indoor secured venues may take place on Friday June 17th.
12. The Artist shall take responsibility for hanging their own work. Bonsall Arts Trail Group will provide assistance where possible with hanging art onto boards that are provided by Bonsall Arts Trail Group. Bonsall Arts Trail Group recommend the use of appropriate hanging accessories and strongly recommend the use of mirror plates for security. In the event of disagreement over hanging the work, the Bonsall Arts Trail Chair reserves the right to make the final decision.
13. The Artist shall remove all unsold work by 7pm on Sunday June 19th. After this time Bonsall Arts Trail Group shall not be responsible for any damage to, loss, or destruction of the work from any cause including negligence by Bonsall Arts Trail, its agents, or by any other person.
14. Artists showing work in the homes of Bonsall householders must take all reasonable precautions to avoid damage to the householders’ property during set up, its display throughout the trail weekend and during the removal of unsold work.
15. Bonsall Arts Trail Group will ensure as far as possible the availability of WiFi within host venues to enable artists to take card payments. Responsibility for the use and security of card payment devices remains with the Artist. Bonsall Arts Trail Group recommend that, where artists are unable to take card payments, they can offer an alternative means of payment such as the provision of bank details for BACS transfer, acceptance of cash or cheques.
16. All works exhibited shall be for sale, except where the Artist expressly states otherwise. In such instance, ‘Not For Sale’ shall be stated in a position that clearly identifies the item.
17. The Artist will decide on the pricing of their work. No commission on sales is payable to Bonsall Arts Trail Group.
18. Workshops are accepted and run at the discretion of the Bonsall Arts Trail Group and must be approved by the Chair before acceptance.
19. Recruitment of workshop participants is the responsibility of the individuals running the workshop. Bonsall Arts Trail will assist with workshop promotion as covered by the workshop fee. This is £40 for 2022.
20. Individuals running workshops must submit their workshop details for consideration by the closing date. The deadline for submissions in 2022 is March 31st. Workshops submitted after this date will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances and with the approval of the Chair.
21. Unlike for artists exhibiting their own work, the workshop’s underlying objective must be the success of the Trail. With this in mind, workshop acceptance criteria include the provision of planned tuition, a formalised learning objective, and an end result of value to the participants.
22. Individuals running workshops in indoor locations accept responsibility for any damage caused, for example but not limited to furniture or walls. Any damage must be repaired in a timely manner with respect to the host venue or financial reimbursement made if required by the host.
Publicity & Communication
23. Bonsall Arts Trail Group shall carry out publicity for the trail and shall be responsible for its design, layout, content, printing and distribution.
24. Our primary communication method is email. The Artist undertakes to check for emails from us, and respond as required, particularly in the 2 months up to the Trail.
25. In order to facilitate co-ordination of venues with artists, we will share your email address with your venue host, and with other Artists exhibiting at the same venue.
26. The Artist gives permission for Bonsall Arts Trail Group to use graphic and text submitted by the Artist within any programme and other publicity material.
27. Inclusion of the Artist in the trail is conditional upon the Artist’s agreement to these terms and payment of the appropriate exhibition fee.
I agree to these terms.
Bonsall Arts Trail Group
Signed: Amanda Graham (Chair)
Date: 19th November 2021
Artist (or group representative)